Before I started reading the chapters for this week I was kind of nervous if I was going to be interested in these chapters or bored out of my mind. And the conclusion was, drum roll please, I was actually shocked at how many different type of assessment there are for an art educator. With chapter 1 and chapter 7 I was not able to really understand the massive amounts of different types of assessment there are in the categories that were mentioned in those two chapters.
I think it is important to employ many different assessment strategies within my classroom because that way I am assessing my student on a more holistic level rather see if they can memorize dates, artist and titles of artwork and artist. I feel that when you have lots of different assessments then the students will have to really understand the information. I also think that it will be easier for more of the students to learn the information if they were doing different type of assessments. I think this because some students learn better by doing, while others learn best by reading, and so one.
I will know what my student have learned because they will show their portfolio and talk about what they did and why. I will also be assessing their portfolio by what it contains and the progress they have made from their first assignment to their very best one, if it isn’t the same work. When you see students becoming excited and getting really involved with their work is what successful learning looks like. This is because it shows that the students want to be in your classroom and want to learn. I will receive my evidence and feedback from their portfolio and observing their attitude and enthusiasm during class time. The different assessments I would use are performance assessment, a little traditional assessment, checklist, and having the students talk about their artwork.
So with reading these chapters and listening to the other groups during class I have found that there are so many ways to assess student while in an art class.
I agree with you and I was also surprised by that there are many different kinds of assessment strategies. You must be interested in the performance assessment strategy. It has various interesting activities so that students could enjoy being assessed by that. But I am still wondering if it is really possible for art educator to objectively access. Distinguishing good works or bad works could be easier but when people chose the best one among the good works, they easily tend to chose according to one’s taste. What do you think about that?
ReplyDeleteI agree with you and Jooyoung that there are many assessment tools to be utilized but basically the teacher wants to know what the students know and are able to do in order to facilitate the learning process. It is important to provide feedback often in order to challenge students to succeed and not just look at the finished product. I agree when you wrote:"because that way I am assessing my student on a more holistic level rather see if they can memorize dates, artist and titles of artwork and artist. I feel that when you have lots of different assessments then the students will have to really understand the information" because they are demonstrating their understanding visually and through language spoken and written.
ReplyDelete